How to Poison Proof your Home PDF Print E-mail
Written by Dr. Niru Prasad   
    How to Poison-Proof your Home

    It is true that poisoning can happen in any home and the incidence of poisoning during childhood is very
    high especially between the ages of 1 to 3 years old due to childhood curiosities.

    First Aid for Poisoning:
       For swallowed poisons:
    
              If you child is unconscious or having seizures

              or any other abnormal symptoms:

               1.  Protect the airway.
               2.  Transport the child to nearest medical facility.

               3.  Bring containers of the poison swallowed.

               4.  If vomiting occurs, bring the vomitus.

               5.  Bring a basin in the car to catch the vomitus material.

                   
         While calling the Poison Control, please have this information ready:
              
                1.  Age and weight of the child.

                2.  Name and Product label.

                3.  Time the poisoning occurred.

                4.  Symptoms.

                5.  Your name and telephone number.

          If the child is conscious and crying:
                 1.  Separate the child from poison.
                 2.  INDUCE vomiting by gagging the back of the throat or syrup of Ipecac, one tablespoon

                     followed by a glass of water (for ages 1 to 10 years of age).  DO NOT give Ipecac to a

                     child less than 12 months of age.  For ages 10 and older give two tablespoons Ipecac

                     followed by two glasses of water.                   
         For Skin Contact:

        Remove the contaminated clothing and flush skin thoroughly with water.
        
	For Eye Contact:
  
    Rinse both eyes thoroughly with warm water 5-10 minutes and if contact lens is worn – remove them

    immediately.

        Poisonous Gases:
   
    Open all the windows and doors for fresh air.  Protect the airway and transport the child to medical facility.

    
    A checklist of poisonous products found in home:

    
         Kitchen Area:  Household detergents, Draino, Lye, cleansers and Ammonia, oven cleaners, carpet

         and upholstery cleaners, Tylenol, Aspirin and other pills.

    
         Bedroom:  Cosmetics, perfumes, jewelry cleaners, sleeping or birth control pills.

    
         Laundry Room:  Bleach, soap and detergents, spot removers.

         Closets, Attic, Storage Places:  Moth Balls and spray, rat poison.

    
         Bathroom:  Tylenol, Aspirin, vitamins and iron pills, shampoo, hand lotions, creams, nail polish

         remover, toilet bowl cleaners, boric acid or room deodorizers.

    
         Garage and Basement:  Lye, Kerosene, bug killers, gasoline, paint thinner, weed killers,

         antifreeze.

    
         Purses:  All drugs including birth control pills, heart medications, headache pills, etc.

    
       POISON PREVENTION TIPS:

               1.  Lock up all medicines; use child resistant packaging.
               2.  DON'T call medicine candy.

               3.  DON'T take medicine in front of children.

               4.  Dispose of old medicines regularly and flush them through drain.

               5.  Avoid bringing unnecessary poisonous substances into to your home.

               6.  Store cleaning supplies out of sight and out of reach of children.

               7.  Keep all products in their original containers.

               8.  DON'T store pesticides or detergents near food.

               9.  Always rinse out the containers before throwing them in garbage.

               10. Keep a bottle of syrup of Ipecac in your home.  However, DO NOT use it unless checked with

                   Poison Control.  DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING IF:

                       a.  The swallowed poison is a corrosive such as Draino, Lye or acid.

                       b.  If the child has swallowed Kerosene, gasoline or petroleum distillates.

                       c.  If the child is drowsy, sleepy or having seizures.

               11. Know your local Police, Fire Department and

                   Poison Control telephone number.


    Protect your child against Poisoning from plants.
    
    Household plants are amount the most frequent objects ingested by toddlers and young children.  Protect

    your children against plant exposure.  Know the names of all your household plants and the plants and

    flowers growing in your backyards.

    Some of the common non-toxic plants are African Violet, Aralia, Asparagus, Baby's Breath, Bamboo,
    Cactus, Camellia, Crabapple, Daisy, Dandelion, Eucalyptus, Fig tree, Jade plant, Easter Lily, Magnolia,

    Petunia, Poinsettia, Rose, Spider plant, Violet, Weeping fig, and Zebra plants.

    Some of the common toxic plants are Apricot Kernel, Avocado Leaf, Azalea, Betel Nut Palm, Castor Bean,
    Cherries, Daffodil, Diffenbachia, English Ivy, Foxglove, Poison Ivies, Lily-of-the-valley, Marijuana,

    Morning Glory, Mushrooms, Philodendrons, Rhododendron, Rosary Pea, Tobacco, Tulips, Water Hemlock

    and Yews.